Skip to main content

Blogilkar exlusive: RALPH SIEGEL INTERVIEW


Ralph Siegel celebrates some round years this year: 40 years since his first Eurovision song, 30 years since his first victory and his 20th entry. He talks about his Eurovision past and his biggest wish. How he got hooked on Eurovision, his happiest and saddest memories and the German selection process. And many other things. My flying reporter Robert had a chance to talk to the legend and Mr Eurovision himself, who is happily back on track after some difficult years. Blogilkar congratulates him for this incredible 40+30+20 and takes a pow....

What does Eurovision mean to you?
First of all let me tell you that I'm celebrating my 40th anniversary since my first Eurovision song in 1972. I came second but it was my first appearance. My first entry was in 1974 when ABBA won and I came 4th. for Luxembourg. It was very promising. Then I said to myself hopefully this is going to get better and then 1979 I was 4th again, then 1980 2nd and 1981 also 2nd. And then in 1982 I won. Thirty years ago now. And please don't be mad at me that I didn't stop then! Eurovision is a very important event for me in many ways. It's a possibility to play a song to a hundred million people, writers today are lucky to be played on their local radio stations these days. This is one of the very few ways to make an artist known at once worldwide, plus there is of course the fact that you are representing your country, or can work with an artist you love like I'm doing with San Marino this year. I'm working with wonderful Valentina Monetta, she's just a fantastic artist. I'm also proud to work for San Marino. Things have changed. Swedish writers write for many countries like Malta, they won for Azerbaijan! And of course along the way you make a lot of friends.
Do you recall the moment when you got hooked on Eurovision?
It must have been 1966 when Udo Jürgens won. Then next year it was in Vienna and Puppet on a string won. I was in Vienna with my father because he was a composer, too. And my mother was a singer. I'm working with music since I was a child. At 13 I wrote my first song, I'm 67 now. Sorry, 66! So I have been writing songs for over 50 years. I learned music from some great teachers, from school, from playing Chopin as a kid, I learned accordeon, drums, guitar... and then I just worked by way up studying music and harmonies, piano. I started music publishing business in Paris and I lived a year in Nashville, Tennessee. I wrote my first hit for Don Gibson when I was 19. That's 47 years ago....
How did you get started in Germany, was it because of Eurovision?
No. My first hit there was with Peggy Marsch who already had hits before. We also did national selection with her in 1975 but we were second. It was my first second place, I have them so many!
What is your best Eurovision memory?
There are so many! It should be when we won. I remember when we were walking back from the arena in Harrogate to our hotel with Nicole and I said to her: Nicole, tonight we're going to win! But don't tell anybody. She looks at me and says: yes! She just smild. We just knew we are going to win. It was such a fantastic moment when you walked up to the stage when you finally made it after so many years! But that was 30 years ago and I was 36. I said I won't participate the year after and I didn't but then someone said should we try again? And there we were, 2nd again in 1987 when Johnny Logan beat us again. I met him Saturday afternoon and I said to Johnny: It's you and me again but I guess it's you again! And that's exactly what happened. Then later I was 3rd twice, in 1994 and 1999. I loved Reise nach Jerusalem! I really loved that song. We were not very lucky with the sound of the song on stage, there was too much echo but it's always an adventure and a risk. You never know how the sound is, how the camera angles work. Sometimes a night is the night, it just happens. But I'm so happy to be here again! I was so ill and I've had such bad years behind me.....
May I ask what you had?
Yes. I had cancer, the worst kind. Doctors gave me six months. That was 3,5 years ago. After all the treatemets, radiation and all that I'm just so happy to be here!
Are you cured now?
Doctors say hopefully. Yes. Like I said I'm just so happy to be here and my biggest wish is to be in the final once again.
I already asked about your best memory. How about the biggest disapppointment?
2002. We were the big pre-contest favourites. We were leading the polls and we were on top in bettings but it all was too much for her (Corinna May), she couldn't stand the pressure. The choir wasn't good either. When you are blind the pressure can get you easily. It was a mistake, I knew it already on Thursday it didn't work and on Saturday you could see she wasn't ok. I didn't know what to do. I tried to help her but I didn't know how. She is one of the most beautiful singers in the world but the pressure was too much. She had no chance. For me it was so depressing I swore I would never do it again. I was so down.
Are you proud of having written 20 Eurovision entries?
To tell you the truth I'm proud of having started a few careers. Nicole for example has a very good career we started. We started the career of Dschingis Khan. They went around the world. After the contest they recorded Moscow which is my biggest success. I wouldn't have written Moscow if I hadn't written Dschingis Khan! We had 5-6 years of success. And I have helped many careers to become stronger like Lena Valaitis and Katja Epstein. I was very proud of doing  Sürpriz . Them going to Jerusalem was maybe one of my best ideas and also one of the best songs. I'm also proud I created some good careers and some good friendships through Eurovision. But what is proudness in the end? I think there are several Mr Eurovisions. Johnny Logan for sure is one.
But for the composers it is you.
For the composers yes. Also Phil Coulter. But for the number of entries, this is my 20th. I dream of being in the final once more! It is indeed my biggest dream.
I hope it comes true.
I hope so, too. I hope it also for Valentina because she's really, really fantastic artist! She's a great singer!
Out of all numerous preselection songs can you name one that you really thought would do it?
Absolutely I believe in God by Corinna May. In 2000. It's one of the best songs I have written, she sings it in a fantastic way but then came Stefan Raab with his Wadde hadde dudde da with eight weeks of promotion, we just had no chance! First of all he's a big talent and secondly he has his TV-show. So we were just dead.
At the moment you don't write any songs for Germany.
No no no. I wish I could! But they have now this closed decision. I would always write for Germany but there has to be an opportunity to write. We don't have an open selection so I can't send a song. We used to have an open and anonymous selection. We sent in songs and the jury selected them without knwoing who wrote them, where they came from and then I always had a chance. But now it is very closed ,someone decides what is good and what is not good. And they have done a great job with Lena. Roman Lob is a very nice, very good singer. He does a good job and I wish him all the luck.
But you hope the format changes in Germany again...
Sure! Not only for me but for all the German writers! All the German writers hope for a format where they at least have a chance to send in songs. Anonymously preferably. For the competition it is important everyone has an equal chance and personal likes or dislikes have no place. The only thing that is important how good the song is. Maybe some people don't like me anymore because I won 15 times. I didn it so often, they say Enough! But music is not a question of age. Or how long you've done it. You write music until you die.
So you will go on as a writer and producer?
I will write music like Irving Berlin did, or Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder..... Everyone will write as long as he can. All the great writers in the world, like Henry Mancini write music until they die.
So you will never retire. That's good to know. Last question: Did Eurovision treat you well?
…. Eurovision was created by a group of people in 1956 who had no idea what it would become. It has been a part of my life for so long, I have made so many friends, I have done all kind of business contacts starting from musicians and singers... so yes. And we will celebrate all this next Saturday in the Sammarinese Party in Baku!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

MALTA: THE QUEEN OF L-GHANJA TAL-POPLU - CORAZÓN MIZZI!

If The Travellers have proven recently one can do great singing in Maltese there's also someone else doing great stuff: Corazón Mizzi. While in Malta I was looking for some Maltese CDs only to find out they pretty much don't exist, and the most helpful staff in legendary D'Amato - probably the world's oldest record store today - suggested me Corazón's Hawn jien (2014 album). Having nothing else really to bring home I decided to go or it without even realizing it is the Corazón from Maltese Eurovision selections. And what a find it was! Thank you D'Amato! But let's start from the obvious: Eurovision. Corazón has been offering us songs in the Maltese Eurovision selection since 2009, actually making her best result this year with Falling glass , one of my favorites btw. I also liked last year's Secretly but that failed even the final. But Corazón's true calling is singer-songwriter in Maltese as this excellent album clearly shows. We have al

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

EUROVISION 2024.... COMING UP!

 

EUROVISION TWEETS REVEAL DETAILS....

Brandwatch, one the world's leading providers of analytics of social medias has summed up the Twitter buzz during the Eurovision 2013 final on May 18, 2013. Over 1,8 million tweets have been analyzed and it's rather fascinating stuff. On top you can see the figure showing topics. Romania and Ireland got the tweeting go wild as did Greece, Belarus, Malta and Armenia. And you can see political tweets took over during the voting..... The figure above is for the emotions. Once again Romania and Greece got it going wild. A lot of love and joy was spread all over during the show while hate & anger increased during the voting. Is someone surprised? But have a look and analize yourself here . And here you can access to country by country details. Did Ukraine's giant get people's attention? or Moldova's outfit? Did Ireland have sex factor? Or Azerbaijan? And what about Belgium's dance routine?

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

FINLAND: CONGRATS HANNA PAKARINEN - BABY IS COMING!

No more leave me alones as Eurovision 2007 veteran Hanna Pakarinen has published in her Youtube channel a video unboxing the Finnish state's maternity box aka layette set thus announcing she's due to have a baby later this spring. Congratulations!

Regina Lund - naked and censored

Regina Lund's new video Jag är osynlig was censored by Youtube only minutes after it had been uploaded. In the video she was playing a female Jesus who gets crusified in the end. "I was shocked!" she says. "There's nothing more naked in it as in every church! It's ok to have naked man hanging on the wall but my nakedness is too much on internet? ". Oh well, no comment. She's prepairing a new album Dare Regina Lund and we of course remember her from her Melodifestivalen 2007 adventure with Rainbow star .