Skip to main content

BLOGILKAR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: HANNAH MANCINI

Straight into interview with my Bycycling reporter Robert goes American born Slovenian represent Hannah Mancini. The chatty lady tells us how she ended up from LA to Slovenia and how it is. She does also some serious name dropping. Talks about Slovenian music business. And has her husband turned into an Eurovision maniac?! And how Slovenian does she feel actually? And who would she like to grace the Eurovision stage for Slovenia again? Read it all here:

Thank you Hannah for this interview. You're an American woman singing for Slovenia. How on earth did you end up there?
I married a Slovenian man! Actually he lived in the States when I met him. I always loved the idea of living in Europe and it was kinda perfect as I met an European man! And he always wanted to come to Europe, his parents emigrated when he was a small child so eventually when the opportunity came, he had a good business thing happening there and also I had some music contacts in Amsterdam and in the UK and... we just decided to go ahead and give it a try! We went to Slovenia because he has family there and I'm so much enjoying the European, Slovenian lifestyle there as I came from Los Angeles....
It's funny because most people who want to break through they go the other way round....  they go to LA to make it....
Yeah! I did that, too. I moved there when I was 19 and lived there for some years and at that point I had done there quite a lot, singing backing vocals for great artists, touring, music television, you know all kind of band performances, even working on an album for Universal, so I really had a good time there but I also got some good contacts in Europe so I was very interested.... So it was a good opportunity for both of us. My husband had this business opportunity, the economy was going down there before it went bad here in Europe, too... Before we moved he had been going back and forth for about a year with this business and investiment thing he had. It took me about a year to come here, before I could make up my mind! Before I decided to give it a try and I could always come back to the States if I didn't work out...
So for you it was always clear that you wanted to continue in music business there, too?
Yes. I still have the drive to do things and it was a bit of a compromise also for our marriage. He has always been very supportive in my career as I support him, and we wanted to see if I could get something going in Europe, too. Plus I loved Europe and wanted to live in Europe!
And the idea that you had of living in Europe, did it come true? is it like you thought it'd be?
Yes! When I was little my parents actually lived some time in Switzerland and ever since I've had this....
But do you like it as much as you dreamed...
Yes, yes of course! I mean I knew what I was getting into as I had visited so much before so when we finally decided to try it out I was pretty much aware what to expect. And it all has worked out quite well! I really enjoy it here!
You mentioned you were backing vocalist for some big artists....
Yes, I did backing vocals for big Latin artist Luis Miguel, he's huge in the Latin world, sold about 60 million albums, did Sanremo festival (2nd in 1985 with Toto Cutugno penned song, Ed.note). Also Christina Aguilera on her album for Disney. I did another album for Luis Miguel and Disney, and I also did three world tours with him. I was also in an American show band and we toured all over the States and Mexico and opened shows for Sheryl Crow, Seal and you know, different artist. That was really a lot of fun. I also did a lot of music for televion, like Discovery Channel and stuff like that. I was a working singer. I went and did my thing. I did quite well!
Let's talk about your singing career in Slovenia. What are you achievements there so far?
Funny enough, when I moved to Slovenia I never even thought about Slovenia as an option as I knew it was a very small country with a small market, I just didn't know what it could offer in terms of producers and anything. But quite soon I noticed there was quite an interesting music scene happening! And I was approached by people pretty much right away, maybe because I was American and I started making contacts, performing with different bands having fun and it kinda evolved into a band I started wiriting original songs with and I recorded  a song in Slovenian which I was told one couldn't even tell I was English speaker as I had a very good prononciation of Slovenian. That was followed by three other radio singles that all were moderate hits, one was really big, the othet two pretty good. All were dance music, disco. With a housy feeling which is my favorite. Then I was asked to participate in EMA 2011, the national selection. I didn't win, Maja Keuc did but the song became a really big radio hit that year. 
And now we come to present. How it was you who was internally selected for Slovenia this year?
Actually I think they were looking for 3-4 singers within the music industry and the chose me over those other 3 because maybe they liked my style of music, I'm a songwriter, I wrote a good song and they liked it. It was very exciting!
You didn't have to think twice?
NO! Ha ha
Since you are American you maybe didn't know Eurovision when you came to Europe, or did you?
I did! Yes, absolutely! I did! I've heard about it since I was a little kid. When I was a kid I was very much into everything music; musicals, shows...  I had heard about Eurovision. I knew it about ABBA, Céline Dion.... Katrina & The Waves, those are all big in America and I had heard about it. I didn't know everything about it but was familiar with it. I didn't actually watch or follow it until I moved to Europe. 
What you hope to gain in a long run by your participation?
I think Eurovision is overall an excellent platform for an artist because it gives you such a wide range of exposure and it's also so much fun. It's so great all these artists come togerher to represent their countries and share this big experience. It seems just one big crazy good time!
And do you feel Slovenian at the moment?
Yeah! Absolutely I do! I feel very Slovenian! Because it's my home now. My husband is Slovenian, I have Slovenian friends. My roots are American but I have taken in so much, it's definately my home now. 
Do you have some Eurovision favorites?
Last year it was obviously Loreen. I really thought it's such a fantastic song! it was something really original and different both the song and performance. That's my favorite Eurovision song since I moved here. But my Slovenian favorite is a bit older one: Sestre! I love Sestre and their song. I had actually an opportunity to perform that song with them in a show recently! They are very good friends of mine. 
How is your song received in Slovenia?
It's overall very very positive. Some people were at first a bit like What's this?! We don't get to vote?! as there was no national final for the very first time. I've been told by people who know the local scene better that they expected there to be more negativity actually. Now there's a lot of support. 
Great! Who is your biggest fan? And who influenced you the most?
Hmm... I have to say my husband, he has always been sooo supportive. I don't think there ae so many guys who can deal with a partner in the music industry. An artist with ups and downs, so many unpredictable things happening all the time....
Is he also critizing you if things didn't go as well as planned?
Yes, ha ha ha, YES! Even in a very bad way, like Ýou are lousy! and such... Actually I've been surprised how involved he's been in this Eurovision thing as he has been always supportive but now he's been really all over the place, checking the internet the other songs and commenting them like Oh, that's a strong one and Did you see what they did? You guys must make sure you are up to that! and so on, ha ha ha. It's so funny, ha ha ha! But it's very constructive! It's not at all in an annoying way...
How do you see your semifinal, there are a lot of ballads this year...
Yeah, there are! I hope it will be an advance to us, we are also placed among ballads in the set so I hope it will translate into something positive, we'll see you know. At the moment I don't honesty have any concret feeling about anything. No one feels totally safe. Maybe Denmark does, ha ha ha!
We have also seen countries that were number one in polls and bookmakers not making the final...
Yes! It totally happens! And then countries you had no idea end up doing really really well and so. I have definately learned to keep everything open because you don't know what's going to happen and just do my best.
Right. last question: Who would you like to see for Slovenia in Eurovision 2014?
I would actually like to see Maja Keuc again. There are also a couple of artists that could do really well if they only had a suitable song, a song that fits them and their voice, it's very important. That is also something very original, catchy and fresh. But I think she would be a great choice for Slovenia again!
Thank you Hannah for this interview and good luck next Tuesday! See you in the final!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

Blogilkar exclusive: PASHA PARFENI INTERVIEW

My flying reporter Robert managed to get hold on Pasha Parfeni from Moldova today who has become during this week pretty big favorite to do well. How did he end up in Eurovision, what his goals are and is his granny better than the ones from Buranovo? And will we get a cover album full of Eurovision later on? Find it out here: Why do you want to participate in Eurovision? That's a very difficult question... I want to be a star! A worldstar, ha ha! But I know it's not easy even in Eurovision, only Celine Dion and ABBA have made it. But I can make myself a bit more known, it's good for promotion. After Eurovision I will finish my album and my promo-CD already has nine songs. We will recod maybe 4-5 more and it will make a good album. With what result will you be happy here? Happy? … Top-10! Then I'll be absolutely happy! So if you don't get to the final you will be totally depressed? Yes, maybe... Yes, it would be hard. For me and my team. What are y

GOODBYE, FAREWELL...

The time has come. After all these years, 5,7 million visits, 12.000 articles I guess the time has come. As much as I love and care for Eurovision it just doesn't feel the same. The Corona years took their toll and the past two years and certain decisions have helped me to mature the idea that next year I will hear the songs for the first time in semi-final just like any so called local.  The bubble has burst. Add the toxicity in social medias and fandom. The arrogant teenagers who saw their first contest somewhere 2017 or even 2021 who think they know it all and only their opinion matters. Did I mention the toxic atmosphere on social medias? I'm too old for that sh*t. It's been a long ride that took me to various Eurovision on spot as a fan and tourist,  as a journalist, as a delegation member. I met some great people, made memories of lifetime. In stressful, sad periods of my life this blog has been my safe place, a place to escape and forget everything else for an hour o

Summer songs: Kylie Minogue - On a night like this

This is one of the songs that make me think of sweaty summer nights, humid air and being slightly drunk... I wonder where that all comes from? Anyways. Kylie Minogue recorded On a night like this, maybe not first but better than Pandora or Anna Vissi . And Lord which is actually great!

CAROLA'S BOOBS STEAL THE SHOW, SVT APOLOGIES

Update! Another thing got Swedes talking last night: Carola's boobs when she was giving away an award. This is not the first time her boombs cause headlines; her misfortunate adventures in the 80's in Japan wer explained with her boobs being too big for Japanese market. Ok.... Or was it the song ? Anyways, Carola apologies and says she thinks the dress is stylish and elegant (even her friends said so) and she's a mature woman in her 40s, not a 16-year-old girl and looks like one. The Swedish Oscars, Guldbagge awards were given out last night. Carola was there as a guest star to sing Barbra Streisand's The way we were when honoring the movie stars who passed away during 2012. However, the cameras were too much on Carola, not on the stars showed in photos in the background and that upset many viewers as that part of the show was to celebrate them, not Carola. Oh well...  The producer of the show tells in Aftonbladet the part of the show was made the sam

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

FINLAND: CONGRATS HANNA PAKARINEN - BABY IS COMING!

No more leave me alones as Eurovision 2007 veteran Hanna Pakarinen has published in her Youtube channel a video unboxing the Finnish state's maternity box aka layette set thus announcing she's due to have a baby later this spring. Congratulations!