Skip to main content

BLOGILKAR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: IINA SALIN


Iina Salin, the black voiced blond beauty with her dance track is one of the UMK 2013 participants and took her time to answer some questions. How long has she been writing songs? Does she like Diana Ross? Who was her favourite in last year's UMK? What has been changed from the first performance for the live gig? What about Loreen? Read it all here and don't forget to vote for her in my poll here on the right hand side!

When and how did you hear you have made the cut of the top-12 in UMK 2013?
I got a call from YLE in October. They told me they loved my song “Last Night” and it´s selected to be one of the TOP 12. I almost fell off my chair! I couldn´t help myself but smiling all the time.
You have an amazing voice. When did you discover that you have that Anastacia effect; blond girl, black voice. What do you think about that?
I have always loved to sing and listen to the greatest singers of all times. I love soul and R´n´B! I started to develop my vocal skills with a singing teacher when I was 14. I´m still working on it, I love to practise different sound colours and I do have a strong focus on what I need to get the feeling out the way I want to express it. Anastacia uses a lot of twang at times and so do I.
How did you start writing songs and do you remember your first song you wrote?
I wrote my very first song at the age of 9 with my new Roland keyboard. I can still remember how the melody goes! I´ve always written a lot, but I really started to work with my own songs in my twenties.
If you were offered a recording deal and rush to make an album, would you have enough material? How do you feel about covers and is there a song or two that you'd like to cover?
I do have material for an album but I´d have to go through it and write some new stuff, too. There are many great songs in this world and to do a cover, an own version, is not a bad idea.
If you could work with any musician (living or not), who would it be?
I´d have to go with MJ.
Ideal duet partner?
This is crazy but I´d love to do a duet with Bruno Mars, he seems sweet.
Who are your idols, musical influences?
I love music and sound of Michael Jackson, James Brown, Beyoncé, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Adele, Emeli Sandé, Robyn, Nancy Wilson, Sam Sparro, Björk, Jamiroquai, Lady Gaga, Prince, Diana Ross, Janelle Monaé, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Hudson, Joshua Ledet, Madonna, Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys, Sia, Erykah Badu, Lana Del Ray… to name but a few! I enjoy all kind of good music. I love urban and groovy stuff! Today I´m more into singer-songwriter based pop music that´s full of emotion.
Did you watch UMK last year and if so, what did you think?
Yes, I did watch UMK last year and I liked the show. Stig was my favourite!
I think the quality of songs is much better this year, do you agree?
Absolutely! ;)
Are you happy how everything is progressing in UMK this year?
I think it´s wonderful that UMK selected the TOP 12 in the spotlight like this. It all seems pretty clear now.
Are you an Eurovision fan and have you followed it? If so, what is your earliest memory?
I´ve watched Eurovision every year, yes! When I was around 7 years old, I remember I stayed overnight at my best friend´s and we watched the Eurovision with her mother. I couldn´t go to sleep until we got the final results.
If you watched last year, what did you think about Loreen? And the grannies?
An Eurovision song you would have wanted to sing first?
I loved Loreen´s performance! I have to say it was my favorite even before she won the Eurovision, though the Russian grannies were sweet, too.
We just saw this Thursday your first performance to the judges? How did you feel it went? Were you nervous?
My first performance to the judges was the first time we ever performed “Last Night” so I was a bit nervous, but in a good way. I felt happy about it anyhow and I fully enjoyed it.
What do you think about their advice and opinions?
It was interesting to hear what the judges have to say. I listened to their advice and opinions with an open mind.
Are you going to act on them? What can we except in two weeks time in live gig at Circus?
We´ve been rehearsing a new choreography with the new version of the song and now there´s more movement and attitude to come.
Where were you when Lordi won Eurovision? Did you think one day you would be very close to that stage as well (well, not Athens but Malmö...)
I was at home when Lordi won the Eurovision, I couldn´t believe it´s happening! I haven´t thought about me being in Eurovision until maybe now.
How will you get your fans to vote for you in UMK? Are you busy in social medias and what plans do you have on that?
I try my best in social medias to get the most of it and I do have friends around who can help me out. But the most important thing would be that people would get to hear my music and vote for me if they like what they hear and see on stage.
Thanks for the interview, Iina. Would you like to say hi to the readers of Blogilkar?
Dear readers of Blogilkar, I wish you all the best for this gorgeous new Eurovision year 2013! Thank you so much for giving me your support and interest, it means the world to me! Keep your spirit high.
Thank you,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

MALTA: THE QUEEN OF L-GHANJA TAL-POPLU - CORAZÓN MIZZI!

If The Travellers have proven recently one can do great singing in Maltese there's also someone else doing great stuff: Corazón Mizzi. While in Malta I was looking for some Maltese CDs only to find out they pretty much don't exist, and the most helpful staff in legendary D'Amato - probably the world's oldest record store today - suggested me Corazón's Hawn jien (2014 album). Having nothing else really to bring home I decided to go or it without even realizing it is the Corazón from Maltese Eurovision selections. And what a find it was! Thank you D'Amato! But let's start from the obvious: Eurovision. Corazón has been offering us songs in the Maltese Eurovision selection since 2009, actually making her best result this year with Falling glass , one of my favorites btw. I also liked last year's Secretly but that failed even the final. But Corazón's true calling is singer-songwriter in Maltese as this excellent album clearly shows. We have al

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

EUROVISION 2024.... COMING UP!

 

EUROVISION TWEETS REVEAL DETAILS....

Brandwatch, one the world's leading providers of analytics of social medias has summed up the Twitter buzz during the Eurovision 2013 final on May 18, 2013. Over 1,8 million tweets have been analyzed and it's rather fascinating stuff. On top you can see the figure showing topics. Romania and Ireland got the tweeting go wild as did Greece, Belarus, Malta and Armenia. And you can see political tweets took over during the voting..... The figure above is for the emotions. Once again Romania and Greece got it going wild. A lot of love and joy was spread all over during the show while hate & anger increased during the voting. Is someone surprised? But have a look and analize yourself here . And here you can access to country by country details. Did Ukraine's giant get people's attention? or Moldova's outfit? Did Ireland have sex factor? Or Azerbaijan? And what about Belgium's dance routine?

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

FINLAND: CONGRATS HANNA PAKARINEN - BABY IS COMING!

No more leave me alones as Eurovision 2007 veteran Hanna Pakarinen has published in her Youtube channel a video unboxing the Finnish state's maternity box aka layette set thus announcing she's due to have a baby later this spring. Congratulations!

Regina Lund - naked and censored

Regina Lund's new video Jag är osynlig was censored by Youtube only minutes after it had been uploaded. In the video she was playing a female Jesus who gets crusified in the end. "I was shocked!" she says. "There's nothing more naked in it as in every church! It's ok to have naked man hanging on the wall but my nakedness is too much on internet? ". Oh well, no comment. She's prepairing a new album Dare Regina Lund and we of course remember her from her Melodifestivalen 2007 adventure with Rainbow star .